Located at the entrance of the Promenade du Peyrou, the former Place Royale, Montpellier’s Arc de Triomphe is a tribute to King Louis XIV and his desire to protect the area during the war. It was at the request of the king himself that the architect François d’Orbay designed this monument, built in 1662. On the sides, the Latin inscription engraved means "Louis the Great, whose reign lasted seventy-two years, brought peace on land and sea after separating, containing and attaching himself to allied peoples in a forty-year war."
At 15 metres high and 18 metres wide with a seven-metre-high opening, the Arc de Triomphe makes its mark in Montpellier. Classified as a historical monument since 1954 and renovated in 2003, this monumental work of art, with its ochre and yellow hues, is full of minute details. The most attentive will notice the four medallions sculpted in honour of the highlights of Louis XIV’s reign or the royal coat of arms in the blue colour of France.